Since the Center’s inception in 1998, our scientific research has been supported by the Center’s Molecular Epidemiology Laboratory, directed by Deliang Tang, MD, DrPH. The 1200 sq/ft Center lab is responsible for overseeing biomarker measurements and biological specimens including:
- collecting, processing and storing samples for our studies; preparing DNA and RNA for analysis
- ensuring quality control for all laboratory procedures and sample storage
- analyzing samples for PAH-DNA adducts, genotypes, and epigenetic markers
- maintaining an inventory of samples
- managing the laboratory database
Samples include blood, cord blood, urine, and placental tissue. The laboratory currently supports over 15 federally funded grants at the Center.